Whole Wheat Blender Carrot Cake with Easy Chocolate Sauce


I have a horrible cold. It started on the 31st of December and it just has been getting worse. Of course my kids got it from me also. There is just a lot of coughing and sneezing around the house these days. To make matters worse, my car did not turn on yesterday as I was trying to take my son to preschool in the morning! The battery was down and we had to wait almost two hours to get the car service over here and fix the issue. It all turned out fine. My son got to school 1 1/2 hours late but that is not big deal. But I was feeling so terrible because of the cold that every little thing just seemed to weigh on me more that it should. Last night I slept almost 11 hours and I still woke up feeling like a truck drove over me! It  feels as if 2013 is not ready for me yet!! I hope I feel better soon!

It makes me happy though that I had a couple of recipes that are ready to be shared with you. I worked on them a couple of weeks ago and I am just getting them ready to post.

I am very excited about this carrot cake. I have been wanting to use whole wheat flour in my baking for awhile now, but I either would forget to buy the flour or I would get a bit scared of the results. After some reading, I found out that using pastry whole wheat flour is the way to go to get a light texture on your baking goods. I went ahead and bought the one pastry whole wheat flour I found at the grocery store and made a blender carrot cake with it.

Blender carrot cake is a huge part of Brazilian culture. Everybody makes that at home. It is comfort food for us. The cake is usually served with a warm chocolate sauce that is so easy to make and it complements the cake very well.

The best is that  this cake has lots of carrots in it AND now it has the much healthier whole wheat flour too! It makes me feel better about having a slice of cake. And the kids loved it too. They did not notice any difference!



Here is how I made it:

I like to use these pre cut carrots to make life easier:


To the blender I add the carrots, lightly beaten eggs and oil. I blend it until I can barely see pieces of carrots. It just takes a couple of minutes.


After that, I ad sugar:


And a pinch of salt:


I quick blend the sugar and salt just to incorporate into the batter. Right after I add half of the flour and again I just quickly blend it.

This is the whole wheat flour I used. 
I finally add the last cup of flour and the baking powder and blend until well incorporate (quickly..don't over mix).


This is how the batter looks like:


I chose a bundt cake pan this time. Mine is non-stick so I simply spray it with baking spray before pouring the batter.


Here is the cake after about 55 minutes in the 325F oven:


After the cake cools a little, I flip it onto a serving platter:


But while cake is cooling in the pan, I make the chocolate sauce. I simply add all ingredients to a pan and bring it to a boil whisking often to get a smooth texture. Simple and delicious.


I pour it over the cake while both cake and sauce are still warm:


I was very pleased with the result. This was my first time using whole wheat flour for baking a cake.I was surprised to get a light texture and super moist cake. I will be doing this again!!



The kids approved and I did not feel so bad serving them a cake full of carrots and whole wheat flour!!



Whole Wheat Blender Carrot Cake

Ingredients
cake
2 1/2 cups carrots (matchstick cut)
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cups superfine sugar (Also called Baker's sugar. This is NOT confectioner's sugar)
1 pinch salt
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (not regular whole wheat flour. PASTRY whole wheat flour)
1 tablespoon baking powder

chocolate sauce
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
6 tablespoons superfine sugar (NOT confectioner's sugar)
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
cake
Heat over to 350F (or 325F if using a non-stick baking pan). Put eggs, carrots and oil in a blender. Blend on high for about 2 minutes or until there are no more big pieces of carrots left. Add sugar and salt and blend until well incorporated. Add 1 cup of flour and blend on low speed until incorporated. Add a second cup of flour and the baking powder and blend again on low speed just until the batter is smooth. Don't over mix. Pour mixture into a greased bundt cake pan and bake for approximately 50 minutes or until a toothpick come out clean when inserted in the cake. Allow the cake to cool for a sometime but flip it onto a serving platter while still warm.

chocolate sauce (make it when the cake is right out of the oven)
Put all the ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk it all together until it comes to a boil and the mixture is smooth. Pour it over the cake while both cake and sauce are still hot.

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing its recipe. I will surely try it at home. Thanks alot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear friends

    Really enjoyed to use organic food. use "organic food" for good health
    visit us - http://www.downtoearthorganic.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I would love to hear from you!