Roast Your Vegetables!



I think I already mentioned that roasting is my favorite way of cooking vegetables. Roasting is easy, healthy (unless you add too much stuff to it!) and it brings out the best in any food! When you roast vegetables at high heat, you concentrate and caramelize the natural sugars in them. That means tons of flavor!

Here is how I do it. First, I get whatever vegetables I have in the fridge. Yesterday I had potatoes, baby bella mushrooms, brussels sprouts, asparagus and baby carrots. You can pretty much use any vegetable you like.

Before cooking:

1 - Try chopping veggies at similar sizes, but think of the cooking times of each veggie also. For example, I cut the potatoes in very small cubes and kept mushroom whole because it takes longer for the potatoes to cook than for the mushrooms.

2 - Another important thing is not to overcrowd the baking sheet. For that reason I choose a rimmed cookie sheet - shallow and large. All vegetables should be touching the bottom of the baking sheet. If needed, use 2 baking sheets.

3 - Also, I like to line the baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick aluminum foil. Some veggies tend to stick to the pan as they roast.

4- I add tons of whole garlic cloves to the vegetables. The garlic adds great aroma and flavor and it roasts beautifully - it becomes creamy and sweet!

5 - Add fresh or dried herbs. If using fresh herbs, choose a hardy one, such as thyme and rosemary, chopped or whole.

6 - Drizzle the veggies generously with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.



During Cooking

1- Preheat oven to 425F (anywhere form 400F to 450F is fine).

2- Place veggies in the oven and cook until they are tender and golden to golden brown. You  may flip them halfway through the cooking time. It can take 30 minutes to 1 hour for veggies to roast depending on how full the baking sheet is and on what size you chopped the veggies.



After Cooking

1- Taste the veggies and adjust salt and pepper, if necessary.

2- Optional: add chopped fresh basil an lemon zest for a bright and fresh flavor!

3- Transfer veggies to serving platter, drizzle with extra-virgen olive oil and serve while still hot.


Comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I would love to hear from you!