Grilled Corn and Avocado Salad



My husband is a very good eater with a refined taste. There are just a couple of things that he will refuse to eat. Polenta is one of them - that makes me mad because I love polenta and can't cook it often enough because of him . That alone is material for a whole blog post so let me move on. My husband will also not eat corn on the cob. I mean, he will not bite into a corn cob. He needs someone to remove the kernels for him in order for him to eat it. That irritates me.  But that's ok. There are a lot of things about me that irritates him too. Anyway, last year, tired of cutting kernels out of the cob at the dinner table, I decided to make a corn salad. My husband like it so much that, since then, I have been making corn salads all the time. On summer time, when we have fantastic corn here in Minnesota, we eat it at least one a week - per his request!

Today I want to share of the many corn salads I like to make - Grilled Corn and Avocado Salad. It is so flavorful! It goes great with any Mexican food, with barbecue ribs, chicken etc. The fresh flavors from cilantro and lime are so lively and refreshing. And the creaminess from the avocado is unbeatable!

Grilled Corn and Avocado Salad
Ingredients
4 corn on the cob, grilled
2 teaspoons olive oil to rub on the corn before grilling
1/2 cup chopped scallion
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup chopped finely jalapeño, if you like it hot keep the seeds
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 1/2 tablespoon lime juice, freshly squeezed
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon agave nectar
1 avocado (Slightly firm. Not too ripened), cut into small cubes

Directions
Rub each corn cob with 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil. Using a pre heated gas or charcoal grill, cook the corn for at medium heat for approximately 15 minutes or until corn is tender and slightly charred. Set it aside to cool. In the meantime, chop all the other ingredients.

When corn is cool enough to handle, use a knife to remove the kernels out of the cob. Put kernels in a medium bowl. To the bow add all the ingredients but the avocado. Stir to combine. Add avocado and gently fold it into the salad. Adjust salt and pepper. I you would like, you may also add a little more lime juice at this time.

Visualize
I like to use this grilling tool (for cooking whole fish) to cook my corn.


While the corn cooks, I chop all my ingredients:


When corn is cool enough to handle, I use a sharp knife to remove the kernels.


In a medium bow, put the corn, scallion, cilantro, jalapeño and garlic. Add lime juice:


Olive oil:


Agave nectar:


Stir the salad. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the avocado and gently stir it in. My daughter helped me with that part:



Love it, love it, love it!



Comments