Red Bell Pepper Pesto


I love, love , love, this red bell pepper pesto. I can't think of anything so versatile for spring and summer! I just can't get enough of it served over grilled bread or over ANY grilled meat - from fish to lamb, and even as a pasta sauce. 

This is super easy to make and it is even more convenient when you can use peppers that have been roasted and frozen in advance. That will guarantee that you will have this lovely pesto done in minutes!! 

Red Bell Pepper Pesto

Ingredients

1/4 cup of walnuts, lightly toasted
1 large garlic clove
1/4 cup of fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup of shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
zest of 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil 

Directions

Start by roasting the red bell peppers. Follow this LINK to see how I like to roast peppers. You will find that I keep several bags of frozen roasted peppers in my freezer. In case you also had frozen peppers available, start by defrosting them over the kitchen counter or by immersing them (inside the freezer bad) in a bowl of hot water. 

The second step is to lightly toast the walnuts. Put the walnuts in a skillet and toast them over medium heat, stirring often, until they start to look brown. Be careful not to burn them!

Now add all the ingredients, but the olive oil, to a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is starting to look smooth. With the processor working at low speed, drizzle in the olive oil (slowly). The mixture should be thick. It will also be somewhat smooth but with some texture.

Serve is with bread, vegetables, meats, or as a pasta sauce. This is particularly wonderful served with grilled lamb, or lamb meatballs.

Visualize

Roast the bell peppers. Or, if you have them in the freezer, defrost them.


Now toast the walnut on skillet over medium heat. 


Place all the ingredients, but the olive oil, in a food processor.


Pulse until mixture is starting to look smooth. At low speed, drizzle in the olive oil.



This is what the pesto will look like.


You can serve it with pretty much anything - vegetables, bread, fish, meats, or pasta.


Here is how I served it the other day:


I sliced a baguette and rushed it on both sides with olive oil.


Then I placed it over a hot griddle and grilled it until it looked golden brown.


Then I cut a garlic clove in half, and rub it over the hot grilled bread.


And serve it with the pesto!


I will be making this red bell pesto a lot this summer! 


Comments

  1. I'm definitely going to make this; it looks absolutely delicious. How much olive oil does the recipe call for? I don't see it listed in the ingredients section.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicholas, thank you SO much for catching that! I totally forgot to add that measurement! Its fixed now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks wonderful! I'll have to try it without the nuts (allergies), but try it we will!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious and beautiful!! I love your blog!! I have tried a few of your recipes and they're always very tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I would love to hear from you!