Foods of the Month - January

Brussel Sprouts is one of my favorite Winter vegetables!


These days, when the abundance, variety, and quality of produce and meats is mouth dropping at most grocery stores all year long,  and when our food comes from all over the country or the world, it is hard to distinguish what foods are in season unless you are shopping at a Farmer's Market (a little hard to do during Minnesota's Winter!!)


Still, I have the habit of doing monthly on-line searches on what are the foods in season. Like I said, we have a rough Winter in this part of the country so this won't change the way I shop and eat that much, but in the least it serves as inspiration for those days when I am not so sure of what to cook for my family.


Here are the best foods to eat in January:


Meat
game, goose, guinea fowl, rabbit, venison


Seafood
mussels, oysters, scallops, turbot


Vegetables
beetroot, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, chard, Jerusalem artichokes, kale, leeks, parsnips, turnips


Fruits
Seville oranges, royal gala apples, conference pears, pomegranate


Nuts
almonds, chestnuts, hazelnuts, walnuts

Comments